In addition to classroom teachers, FASDenver will hire a Teacher on Special Assignment for Special Education and additional TOSAs for English Language Development. Under the direction of the Executive Director, and either the Director of Student Services (TOSA SPED) or the Director of Curriculum (TOSA ELL) the Teacher on Special Assignment will manage and provide services for Special Education and English Language Learners, and work with the school’s classroom teachers by providing supplemental support, staff development, and on-site coaching to enhance instruction and improve student achievement. The Teacher on Special Assignment will also assist the Executive Director to plan, monitor and evaluate the instructional program, provide interventions and tutoring for students, and perform relative duties as required.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of child cognitive development and different learning styles, especially as they relate to students with special needs and English Language Learners (ELLs).
- Knowledge of curriculum development and assessments
- Knowledge of effective language immersion and ELL teaching practices, including Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol (SIOP)
- Knowledge of data-driven instructional decision-making
- Ability to analyze and use qualitative and quantitative student academic performance data to guide classroom practice
- Demonstrated interest in and ability to collaborate with colleagues, parents, and community
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Working with classroom teachers and ELLs to ensure language development education students and ELLs
- Providing interventions for special education students and ELLs
- Assisting in the development and delivery of training for administrative staff, certificates and classified staff in a variety of topics related to special education and ELLs
- Providing supplemental support and assistance to all classroom teachers, including analysis of data using the school’s student information system and student assessment system
- Writing reports and presenting to the Board of Directors as needed or required
Recommended education and experience:
- 2+ years classroom teaching experience
- Experience with English Language Learners
- Minimum education level – Bachelor’s degree
- Valid Colorado State teaching certificate, permit or other document equivalent to that which a teacher in CO public schools would be required to hold
- State endorsement for Culturally Linguistically Diverse (CLD) or Linguistically Diverse Education (LED), or completion of an approved district ELA training program.
The French American School of Denver does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, disability, sexual orientation, age, family care leave status or veteran status. French American School of Denver also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees.