Kindergarten students at FASDenver will spend 10% of their school week in English Language classes. Students in 3rd grade will spend 30% of their school week in English classes. This ratio of French/English education has been shown to be highly effective in French immersion schools across the country for many decades. The role of an ELA teacher at an immersion school is one of complementing and supporting the educational instruction students receive in their primary Francophone class in order to cultivate bilingual and bi-literate students.
Educators at FASDenver must comply with all requirements for employment set forth by C.R.S. 22-63-291, the Colorado Department of Education, and Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) of 2015. All prospective employees must successfully complete a Department of Justice fingerprinting background check and reference checks to ensure the safety of the faculty, staff and students of FASDenver.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of child cognitive development and different learning styles
- Knowledge of curriculum development and assessments
- Knowledge of effective language immersion and ELL teaching practices, including Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol (SIOP)
- Knowledge of data-driven instructional decision-making
- Ability to analyze and use qualitative and quantitative student academic performance data to guide classroom practice
- Ability and willingness to reflect on and improve upon his/her own performance – FASDenver offers many professional development opportunities
- Demonstrated interest in and ability to collaborate with colleagues, parents, and community
- Confidence in leading a classroom; effective classroom management
- Ability to integrate multiple approaches to ensure differentiation
Recommended education and experience:
- 2+ years classroom teaching experience
- Minimum education level – Bachelor’s degree
- Must posses current Colorado Teacher License with endorsement in Elementary Education and passing score on the PLACE or Praxis II in elementary education, OR qualify for Alternative License and passing score on the PLACE or Praxis II in elementary education.
- State endorsement for Culturally Linguistically Diverse (CLD) or Linguistically Diverse Education (LED), or completion of an approved district ELA training program.
The French American School of Denver does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, disability, sexual orientation, age, family care leave status or veteran status. French American School of Denver also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees.