Our Core Values
In the fall of 2018, a group of motivated parents launched the idea of creating Denver’s first public French language immersion school. We were united by the desire to inspire and encourage each student to excel and seek academic and personal challenge, to discover interests and fulfill talents, to embrace diversity and build community, to uphold integrity and contribute to making a difference. To achieve our mission, we delineated the following as the core values of the French American School of Denver:
● Offer its learners a rigorous curriculum in French and English, preparing them for top performing high schools and universities.
● Provide a well-rounded, global education that incorporates multiculturalism, arts and technology.
● Recruit and maintain a diverse population of students and staff through community outreach and civic engagement.
● Encourage collaboration between students, staff and administration in order to involve students in the decision making process and develop leadership, communication and conflict management skills.
● Ensure educational equity by providing additional support to all students in need so that all students can achieve academic success.
READ OUR CHARTER APPLICATION: French American School of Denver Charter School Application
READ ABOUT OUR UNANIMOUS APPROVAL: French immersion K-8 and high school modeled after historically black colleges OK’d in Denver, Chalkbeat, August 23, 2019
Meet Our Team
We might be a new school, but our experienced team is certainly not new to education and French immersion instruction.
Yamile Reina, Executive Director
“A quality education means students feel self-worth about their own abilities to read, write and problem-solve in two or more languages while engaging in quality student discourse, learning how to learn, and thinking critically.”
Passionate and dedicated multi-lingual leader, educator and parent. Yamile has experience as a bilingual teacher, assistant principal in DPS and school leadership coach. She holds a DPS principal certificate and ELA Administrator certificate. Learn more about Yamile.
Emmanuel Bidan, Director of Curriculum
“I firmly believe that learning another language is not only learning different words for the same things, but learning another way to think about things.”
Experienced French immersion educator, certified teacher trainer and school program leader. Emmanuel has 20+ years of experience working in French immersion schools and has taught every grade K – 6. Learn more about Emmanuel.
Board of Directors
As a DPS charter school, FASDenver is an independently-run public school that is authorized by Denver Public Schools and governed by a board of directors. When assembling our founding board, we sought expertise in education, finance, fundraising, marketing as well as members who represent the Francophone immigrant community we plan to serve. Learn more about our Board of Directors.
Board of Directors: Angela Strange (Board Chair), Tara Bardeen (Board Vice Chair), Isabelle Shiffrin (Secretary), Steve Boneck (Treasurer), Yohainna Abdala-Mesa, Jean-Claude Ndefu, Marie Elalem